Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man sent to court for raping three sisters



Man sent to court for raping three sisters

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The suspect was arrested, Police

Man sent to court for raping three sisters

Meanchey district police have sent a 23-year-old man to court for allegedly raping his three sisters over a number of years after he was arrested on Saturday following complaints from the victims.

Meanchey district police chief Meng Vimeandara told The Post on Sunday that the suspect was sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Sunday afternoon after his team had finished questioning him over the allegations.

Vimeandara did not provide further details of the case, but a Stung Meanchey II commune policeman who requested anonymity said the suspect was 23 years old while the victims were aged 12, 16 and 18.

“The suspect, the elder brother, allegedly raped three of his sisters, but when we sent the case to the court, it originally involved only two as the youngest sister only later filed a complaint with police. The suspect has so far not confessed, but his sisters have accused him of raping them,” he said.

Vimeandara added that the parents of the suspect and victims were divorced and from Kampong Cham province.

After their parents separated, some of the siblings went to stay with an aunt in their hometown, while the others lived with their grandmother.

The suspect allegedly began the abuse during the separation, raping the eldest sister, now 18, when she was 13. The second sister, now 16, was first raped when she was eight years old. The youngest sister, now 12, was first raped when she was five.

Vimeandara said that the sisters later moved to Phnom Penh, but the suspect followed them to the capital and allegedly continued the abuse before the victims went to the police.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a