Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man seriously hurt when tractor hits anti-tank mine

Man seriously hurt when tractor hits anti-tank mine

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A tractor damaged in a landmine explosion in Pailin province’s Sala Krao district on Saturday. Fresh news

Man seriously hurt when tractor hits anti-tank mine

A man was seriously injured in an anti-tank mine explosion while ploughing a farm with his tractor in Sala Krao commune of Pailin province’s Sala Krao district on April 3.

Commune police chief Bun Vanny identified the victim as Bon Samith, 29, a resident of the district’s Stung Kach commune.

He said that before the incident, Samith was hired by a villager to clear land in Sala Krao commune for planting cassava. While working, his tractor ran over the buried anti-tank mine left from the civil war era.

“He sustained a serious injury to his left eye and minor injuries to his torso and legs. The tractor was badly damaged,” Bun said.

After the incident, he was rushed to Pailin Provincial Referral Hospital but was then transferred to the referral hospital in neighbouring Battambang province as his condition was critical.

Keus Kum, the 45-year-old mother of Samith, told The Post on April 4 that medical specialists had already rinsed and stitched the wounds though he remained in the hospital’s ICU.

“My son has regained consciousness, but I don’t know whether he will be blind in one eye. A doctor has told us that his eye is seriously injured and his eyesight might not be the same as before,” she said.

She said Samith had been hired to plough farms for eight years and had previously found some unexploded ordnance (UXO) units underground, though they did not explode.

Yeng Sokunthea, head of mine action unit of the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) in Pailin, said mine specialists had not completely cleared that area of UXO and mines. But residents who were former troops had cleared mines and other UXO in order to use the land for building houses and planting crops.

“We don’t encourage them to search for mines on their own because they lack technical tools, though they used to be soldiers and know how to demine. They will endanger their lives and it is also an illegal act,” he said.

Sokunthea said he will ask his group to completely clear mines in the area to ensure residents’ safety.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • 8 provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,