Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man who killed wife seeks lighter sentence



Man who killed wife seeks lighter sentence

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A man who killed his wife was brought to the court yesterday. Kim Sarom

Man who killed wife seeks lighter sentence

The Supreme Court on Wednesday heard the appeal of a former military officer who killed his wife before burning the body inside a water tank in the capital in 2015. The man was handed a 30-year prison sentence by the Appeal Court.

Song Touch, 48, told the judge that on November 12, 2015, he made a call to his 34-year-old wife Tim Sophea but she didn’t answer. Later in the evening she returned home and asked him to open the front gate.

When Touch asked Sophea why she didn’t pick up her phone earlier, he claims that she said she had been sleeping with her lover.

Touch claims he then attacked her with an axe and killed her. After hiding the body in the home’s water tank, he slept at a guesthouse before returning the next day and burning the body with gasoline.

“I complained to the Supreme Court because I was not happy with the charge of premeditated murder. If I had planned it in advance, I would not have killed her in my house.

“After killing her, I told her siblings and godsister to organise the funeral because I had killed her unintentionally,” Touch said.

Citing evidence from the authorities, Judge Kim Sathavy said it appeared that the murder had, in fact, been premeditated.

However, Touch’s defence lawyer claimed the attack occurred during an argument.

The Supreme Court will announce its verdict on September 5.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants