Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Manet touts spending boost for armed forces



Manet touts spending boost for armed forces

Prime Minister Hun Sen’s eldest son, Hun Manet, talks to the media at the Phnom Penh airport last month.
Prime Minister Hun Sen’s eldest son, Hun Manet, talks to the media at the Phnom Penh airport last month. Pha Lina

Manet touts spending boost for armed forces

Hun Manet came out in support of an almost 20 percent increase pegged for the nation’s defence spending over the weekend, saying the bolstered funds would silence social media critics who bemoaned a lack of support for soldiers.

The prime minister’s eldest son, who is also a lieutenant general in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, told a gathering of servicemen at a naval base in Preah Sihanouk the military was getting “stronger and stronger”.

The Defence Ministry has enjoyed substantial increases for each of the past nine years.

“This is not a coincidence, but because Samdech Techo [Hun Sen] has been paying attention to our soldiers and increasing the national budget [to $455 million in 2017].”

Manet decried the “propaganda” and “exaggerations” spread on social media depicting soldiers at the border being forced to stomach sub-par rice.

“A huge part of increasing the national defence budget is increasing salaries for our brothers and sisters in the army, because it is our brothers and sisters who protect territorial integrity . . . When there is fighting, you must fight and the government must guarantee there is sufficient training and equipment,” he said.

However, opposition spokesman Yim Sovann said that while salary increases would be welcome, during times of peace, there was no need to increase the defence budget by one-fifth, saying those funds should instead be diverted to a broader social security projects for all Cambodians.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Covid in Kingdom hits ‘critical point’

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia has reached a critical point, the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned, as cases surge with two more deaths and 265 infections reported over the weekend. On March 28 alone, the Ministry of Health recorded 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia set for large-scale vaccination campaign as Covid spreads

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed all provincial authorities to get ready for a large-scale vaccination campaign, with at least one million doses to be administered per month. “We will roll out at least one million doses. The vaccines we have purchased and received as

  • Covid-19 spreads in Kingdom, infects more children

    The Ministry of Health on March 28 reported another 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20 community outbreak. Among them, two are Chinese and the rest are Cambodian. Preah Sihanouk province recorded the most cases at 43, followed by the capital at 25; three each in Tbong Khmum, Svay