More than 200 factory workers fainted at a shoe factory in Kampong Cham’s Cheung Prey district after an electrical malfunction.
Luy Sen, the director of the district referral hospital, said 123 workers from the Carlington factory went there on Friday exhibiting symptoms of exhaustion and panic.
He said most were given IV injections and were able to leave the next day.
“We received 123 garment workers. They were very exhausted, scared and worried,” he said, adding that he suspected some had overheated on the factory floor."
“They wore lots of clothes, so when it is very warm and the electricity cuts out there could be problems,” he said.
Touth Huot, head of Batheay district referral hospital in Kampong Cham said it received 142 workers that day, noting that a 27-year-old worker was sent to the capital’s Calmette Hospital because she was suffering from seizures.
“In the factory, there was an electrical explosion, and then they panicked. They were short of breath, pale, vomiting and had headaches,” he said.
Cheng Heang, the director of the provincial labour department, claimed the mass fainting was due to nerves after workers saw the electrical malfunction.
He said there were around 500 workers inside the building during the incident.
The factory produces shoes for export to Europe and employs 8,000 workers.
“The company gave workers time off, and they will resume work on Monday. We went to investigate the incident and instructed the factory to follow the labour law and safety standards. If they don’t, we will fine them."
“But they have since fixed the electrical problem,” Heang said.