AT LEAST 15 families in a Kampong Cham province village that was the site of a shooting spree last week moved out of their homes temporarily as a large-scale manhunt again failed to net the only suspect, police said yesterday.
Last Thursday, 50-year-old Sles Yeb, a soldier with Royal Cambodian Armed Forces Battalion 203, allegedly opened fire on residents of Kroch Chhmar district, killing three people and injuring four.
Khieu Pov, police chief of Kampong Treas commune, where the shooting occurred, said yesterday that some families were too scared to stay in their own homes.
“It is disorder in the village because some villagers do not dare to stay at their houses,” Khieu Pov said. “I have advised them that he will not dare come here anymore because police are patrolling. If he comes back shooting, we will shoot back at him.”
Nhor Vann Trey, whose wife and three children were injured in the attack, said his nephew and mother-in-law were among those who had relocated. Meanwhile, Kroch Chhmar district police Chief Lay Nguon said various leads in the case had mostly been mere “rumours”.