Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mattress factory blaze bill could reach $3M

Mattress factory blaze bill could reach $3M

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The fire destroyed Mattress Factory in Meanchey district’s Boeung Tompun. Yousos Apdoulrashim

Mattress factory blaze bill could reach $3M

The cost of the fire that destroyed the Heng Heng Mattress Factory in Meanchey district’s Boeung Tompun I commune in the capital on Friday could be as high as $3 million, Phnom Penh Municipal Governor Khuong Sreng said on Sunday.

Firefighters in 45 engines fought the blaze for hours using 261 water trucks before it was brought under control, but two buildings – one six-storey and one four – were razed to the ground.

National Committee for Disaster Management first vice-president Kun Kim, who led firefighters in the operation, told The Post on Sunday that the blaze had been brought under control before it spread to other properties.

The fire-damaged buildings were being torn down to prevent their collapse.

“The buildings’ frames were ruined in the fire. We have dismantled the four-storey building housing the mattress factory.

“We will now dismantle the six-storey building. We managed to bring the fire under control before it could spread to other properties,” Kim said.

Sreng said on Sunday that while the authorities were disappointed not to have been able to rescue residents’ belongings, no lives had been lost.

“It is too early to tell exactly how much damage was done, but it could be more than $3 million. However, the main thing is that the fire did not claim any lives,” Sreng said.

Deputy municipal governor Suy Serith, who took part in the operation, said on Sunday that authorities were using machinery to tear down the damaged buildings, with only the six-storey one remaining.

“We used four big machines to demolish the damaged buildings so neighbouring properties would not be affected,” he said.

Some 200 Phnom Penh Municipal Administration and National Committee for Disaster Management personnel also took part in the operation.

“We expect that the six-storey building will be completely demolished on Monday,” Serith said.

A National Police report said the fire in the building owned by 63-year-old Kan Chantha was caused by an electrical fault.

Chantha declined to comment to The Post on Sunday.

Plumes of smoke from the fire were visible as far away as Wat Phnom.

A resident living across from the factory told The Post that the fire was the third to occur at the facility in four years – with the latest one being the largest as the first two had burned out on their own.

Vechna Som Sovan, a veteran fireman of 12 years, said it was fortunate the fire broke out in the afternoon.

“If it had happened during the night when people were sleeping, maybe it would have been worse and people could have been hurt,” he said.

Police officials and firefighters credited the collective efforts of neighbours and factory workers from the neighbourhood in helping to contain the blaze.

MOST VIEWED

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges