Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Meas Muth defenders slam ‘pre-judging’ bio



Meas Muth defenders slam ‘pre-judging’ bio

Meas Muth, a former navy chief of the Khmer Rouge and war-crimes suspect, smokes a cigarette at his house in Battambang province last year.
Meas Muth, who faces genocide charges in the Khmer Rouge tribunal's Case 003, smokes a cigarette at his house in Battambang province last year. Vireak Mai

Meas Muth defenders slam ‘pre-judging’ bio

The defence team for accused Khmer Rouge leader Meas Muth slammed the public relations arm of the Khmer Rouge tribunal for publishing prejudicial information on its website, which they said could threaten his right to a fair trial.

Lawyers for Muth, who is facing genocide charges in Case 003, penned a letter to Public Affairs Section (PAS) chief Dim Sovannarom yesterday, highlighting that the court’s website contained “unproven allegations against Mr. Meas Muth, passed off as fact”.

This included listing positions – such as commander of the navy – that were not yet established as facts by the court but have been discussed during witness testimony.

The webpage was hastily altered yesterday morning to read that Muth “allegedly” held certain leadership positions during the regime. Defence lawyer Michael Karnavas, however, said such conduct was “irresponsible”.

“When you have the PAS pre-judging the suspects and accused, it lends to the perception that all of them are guilty – as they have already been judged in the court of public opinion – and therefore the burden is on the suspects and accused to prove their innocence,” he wrote in an email.

Sovannarom said as there were no legal findings on Muth’s positions, the website was immediately edited, and wrote the PAS attempts “to foster greater understanding among the public for the importance of ensuring fair trials and the presumption of innocence”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting