Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Mentally ill’ man likely committed suicide in Sihanoukville



‘Mentally ill’ man likely committed suicide in Sihanoukville

‘Mentally ill’ man likely committed suicide in Sihanoukville

A 30-year-old man who reportedly suffered from mental illness allegedly committed suicide on Tuesday at his home in Sihanoukville’s Commune IV.

The victim, a vendor named Sun Chea, was found by his landlord who looked through a window to check on him because his door was locked.

“Authorities first thought he was murdered but after investigating, they found no evidence to support that. The investigation is closed,” Preah Sihanouk provincial deputy police chief Kol Phally said.

According to the authorities, there was no space for a potential suspect to enter the victim’s room.

Commune police chief Sam Brak said according to a witness at the scene, Chea lived with two other people from Siem Reap province.

They migrated to Preah Sihanouk province for work but Chea did not work regularly because he suffered from mental illness, the witness said.

On the morning of the incident, the two roommates worked until 5:00pm.

The landlord tried to check on Chea, but found the door locked. When she found him lying on the floor in a pool of blood, she shouted, which alerted neighbours who confirmed that the victim was Chea.

The landlord reported the incident to the police, who contacted provincial police chief Chuon Narin.

Police arrived at the crime scene and cordoned it off from the public. Once expert authorities reached the scene, they removed the door and scanned the room for evidence.

“There was only him in the room and there was no entrance. It was assumed that the victim committed suicide,” Brak said.

Authorities found a blood-stained knife near Chea and identified a wound which indicated he slit his own throat.

According to Chea’s two roommates, Chea had mental problems, but it is not known if he was ever diagnosed by a doctor.

The victim had intended to commit suicide several times before, but he had been saved by someone each time. This time he was alone, Brak said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year