Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - MIA search suspension formalised



MIA search suspension formalised

MIA search suspension formalised

Cambodia’s top military commander yesterday officially suspended a programme with the US to find the remains of American military personnel who went missing in action during the Vietnam War.

Military Commander in Chief General Pol Saroeun ordered provincial and municipal authorities to pause searches “until further orders” in a statement.

The move is the latest in a series of retaliatory measures between the two countries over deportations of Cambodian citizens convicted of felonies while living in the US. Earlier this month, the US said it would stop issuing visas for certain Cambodian officials after the Kingdom refused to accept some of those deportees.

Soon after, Prime Minister Hun Sen announced the MIA search programme would be suspended until relations had improved. According to the prime minister, about half of the roughly 80 American soldiers who died in Cambodia during the war remained missing.

The US Embassy in Phnom Penh confirmed yesterday that it had received notification of the suspension, but declined to comment further.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said