Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Migrants arrested in Malaysia



Migrants arrested in Malaysia

Army officials patrol migrant worker neighbourhoods issuing warnings to illegal workers yesterday in Malaysia.
Army officials patrol migrant worker neighbourhoods issuing warnings to illegal workers yesterday in Malaysia. Photo supplied

Migrants arrested in Malaysia

More than 1,500 migrants, including Cambodian workers, had been arrested in Malaysia as of Tuesday following the launch of a new crackdown on undocumented migrants at the start of July.

Irene Xavier, coordinator of the network Committee for Asian Women, said Malaysian police are “targeting those without work permits and passports”.

The arrests were preceded by a monthslong “rehiring programme”, which facilitated the legalisation of undocumented workers by helping them to get correct documents. Upon expiration of the programme on June 30, the government began its crackdown.

Once arrested, migrant workers are held in detention “until they’re able to get a ticket” back home, Xavier said. “Some workers have said that they’ve been in there for a couple of years, and some had even given birth to children in detention.”

Xavier said it was easy for workers to become undocumented – for example when abused migrants leave an employer who is holding their documents.

The Post uncovered last month that Cambodian migrants face burdensome fees when trying to renew passports, with agencies often asking for nearly $1,000.

Glorene Das, executive director of Malaysian human rights organisation Tenaganita, said that 28 employers and more than 1,500 undocumented migrants – mainly from Bangladesh, but also from Cambodia – had been arrested on Monday and Tuesday.

“It’s unfair for migrants to bear the brunt when employers are equally responsible [to get documentation],” she said. “They need to stop criminalising them.”

Mohammad Elshetri, project coordinator at rights NGO Suaram, said that elections in 2018 may explain the move.

“There have been some complaints about migrants now, so the government might use this operation to gain support,” he said.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial