Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Military prepares for rescues ahead of flood season

Military prepares for rescues ahead of flood season

Military prepares for rescues ahead of flood season

120906_02a

Soldiers and military police practise rescue techniques in preparation for the upcoming flood season yesterday in Phnom Penh. Photograph: Heng Chivoan/Phnom Penh Post

More than 300 soldiers and officers from the Ministry of National Defence and the military police conducted a joint military exercise yesterday at the Navy’s headquarters in Phnom Penh’s Russei Keo district to practise rescue techniques ahead of the upcoming flood season.

Lieutenant-General Sum Samnang, secretary-general of the logistics department at the Ministry of National Defence, said the purpose of conducting the military exercise was to ensure the forces’ readiness to come to the aid of Cambodians in flood-prone areas of the country.

“The military exercise was very significant for the Royal Military Armed Forces in making pre-arrangements to save the people vulnerable to floods,” he said.

According to Samnang, in addition to the 320 participants, seven ambulances, 26 speedboats and 16 trucks were used in simulated emergency situations of reviving drowned people, rescuing stranded villagers and advanced medical treatment techniques to treat critical injuries.

Samang added that all the branches of the Ministry of National Defence, including the infantry, navy and air force, were well prepared to fight flooding.

In 2011, hundreds of Cambodians were killed in some of the worst flooding in a decade.

According to the National Disaster Management Committee, hundreds of thousands of people were displaced, and thousands of hectares of rice fields were damaged.

According to NCDM figures, so far this year storms have destroyed nearly 200 homes, injured nearly 60 people and killed 20.

To contact the reporter on this story: Kim Yuthana at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from