Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mine blast kills six, injures two

Mine blast kills six, injures two

Mine blast kills six, injures two

121002_06b

People look at the site of an anti-tank mine blast that killed six people, Monday, Oct. 1, 2012 in Battambang province. Photograph supplied

An anti-tank mine explosion in Battambang’s Ratanak Mondol district killed six people and injured two others on Sunday.

Leang Vuthy, bureau chief of the district’s police statistics office, said a truck with an attached plough was carrying farmers back from a trip to market when it hit the mine, causing the explosion.

“Parts of their bodies were scattered 30 metres from the area, and some of the parts were hanging from the branches of a tree,” Vuthy said.

“The incident is one of the biggest tragedies to have ever occurred [in this area].”

The six dead, aged 17 to 25, were three women and three brothers. The brothers’ father, 57, and a 17-year-old woman had been injured, Vuthy said.

Five of the victims died instantly, and the sixth died on arrival at a Battambang hospital.

According to Heng Ratana, director-general of the Cambodian Mine Action Centre, Battambang is a high-risk area for anti-tank mines.

“They are found in strategic areas with fighting between government forces and the Khmer Rouge,” he said.

The Cambodia Mine Victims Information System has reported 20 mine and UXO casualties in Battambang province between January and August of this year, the highest number for any province.

Chhiv Lim, project manager for CMVIS, said the explosion was one of the largest this year.

To contact the reporter on this story: Kim Yuthana at [email protected]
With assistance from Rachel Will

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh