Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mine casualties up 5pc this year

Mine casualties up 5pc this year

Mine casualties up 5pc this year

CASUALTIES caused by land mines and explosive remnants of war increased by 5 percent in the first six months of this year compared with the same period in 2009, according to statistics released yesterday.

The June report from the Cambodian Mine/Explosive Remnants of War Victim Information System, which tracks data on mine casualties, states that there were 24 in total last month, up slightly from June 2009.

This casualty total was far lower than the 50 recorded in May, which was the worst month for casualties nationwide in nearly three years.
According to the information system, there have been 158 casualties through the first six months of the year.

Five people were killed in mine and UXO accidents recorded in June. Nineteen were injured, five of whom required amputations.

Eight ERW accidents accounted for 16 of the casualties recorded in June, and five land-mine accidents were responsible for the other eight.

Between January 2009 and June 2010, the five most mine-affected provinces – Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, Preah Vihear, Pailin and Oddar Meanchey – have accounted for 66 percent of all casualties. Roughly 47 percent of these have been concentrated in 10 districts.

Over the longer term, Cambodia has seen a dramatic decrease in land-mine casualties, from 1,691 in 1993 to 244 last year.

But authorities have acknowledged that the government’s initial obligation to clear all contaminated areas in the Kingdom by 2009 – part of its commitment under the Ottawa Treaty, which bans the use of land mines – may have been unrealistic.

Cambodia was granted a 10-year extension on that goal during a gathering of parties to the treaty held in Cartagena, Colombia, in December.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh