Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mine museum boss free on bail



Mine museum boss free on bail

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The museum in Banteay Srey district has yet to reopen despite Aki Ra’s release. Voun Dara

Mine museum boss free on bail

The founder of the Cambodian Landmine Museum in Siem Reap province and his two colleagues, who were arrested and put in pre-trial detention early this month on weapons possession charges, have been released on bail.

Court spokesman Yin Srang said on Sunday that Aki Ra was freed on Thursday pending further investigation.

“The investigating judge released them on their lawyer’s bail request. The investigation is ongoing,” Yin Srang said.

Touch Lonh, a caretaker of children at the museum in Aki Ra’s absence, said the trio had returned to their home.

“They were happy as they arrived home. I have visited them once or twice, but they cannot be reached by phone now,” he said.

Lonh said the 26 children had been looked after by two organisations via the arrangement of the social affairs department since the museum’s temporary closure on August 29.

“Children stay at their organisations temporarily because we closed the museum. We let the organisations in Siem Reap province take care of them in the meantime,” he said.

The two organisations are Sun Rise Organisation and Together for Cambodia.

The museum in Banteay Srey district has yet to reopen despite Aki Ra’s release.

But Ray, a soldier who identified himself as deputy chief of the museum’s guards, said he had not received an order to stop guarding or opening the museum.

Born in 1970 and separated from his family by the Khmer Rouge at the age of five, Aki Ra fought for the many different armies that ravaged the country for nearly 35 years.

In the early 1990’s, he worked for the UN clearing landmines around Angkor Wat. Aki Ra has extracted around 50,000 mines throughout his demining career.

His ongoing court case followed a fire on the museum’s premises on August 27, after which authorities discovered old and rusty weapons in a small shed.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could