Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mine, UXO casualties dip

Mine, UXO casualties dip

Mine, UXO casualties dip

120730_04a

Unexploded ordnance is displayed on a table during a conference on demining in Phnom Penh earlier this month. Photograph: Vireak Mai/Phnom Penh Post

The total number of victims of mines and unexploded ordnance in the first half of the year decreased by nine compared with the same period in 2011, a new report from the Cambodia Mine Victims Information System shows.

According to CMVIS’s July 2012 report, that there have been 104 cases of death or injury caused by mines and UXO in the year’s first six months, with 22 dead and 83 injured.

“In the same period in 2011, there were 113 victims, so comparing the first six months of 2011 and 2012, the number of victims decreased by about 8 per cent,” CMVIS project manager Chhiv Lim said yesterday.

He added that in all of 2011, 211 people were injured by mines and UXO, with 43 killed and 169 wounded.

Provinces with the highest numbers of victims included Battambang, Preah Vihear, Oddar Meanchey, Banteay Meanchey and Pailin.

Heng Ratana, general director of the Cambodian Mine Action Centre, said that there is no specific explanation for the decrease in casualties.

Deaths and injuries caused by mines and UXO depend largely on the specific decisions of individuals living in provinces where mines and UXO are common.

“However, the decrease does demonstrate the government’s effort to clear mines in Cambodia,” Ratana said.

Most injuries and deaths from mines and UXO occurred while the victims were farming or travelling, according to the CMVIS report.

To contact the reporter on this story: Kim Yuthana at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on