Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mines Ministry alleges slander



Mines Ministry alleges slander

The Ministry of Mines and Energy has accused the operator of a soil digging site in Kandal province’s Sa’ang district (pictured) of defamation, a few weeks after he allegedly fired a gun into the ground to scare off inspectors. Fresh News
The Ministry of Mines and Energy has accused the operator of a soil digging site in Kandal province’s Sa’ang district (pictured) of defamation, a few weeks after he allegedly fired a gun into the ground to scare off inspectors. Fresh News

Mines Ministry alleges slander

The Ministry of Mines and Energy has accused a Kandal province businessman of defamation and operating an illegal digging site, a few weeks after he allegedly shot into the ground to scare off officials trying to inspect his land.

In its complaint to the Kandal Provincial Court, filed on Thursday, the ministry claims that Reurng Sam Arn, 49, defamed the ministry in an interview with Kampuchea Thmey newspaper on January 18.

In the interview, Sam Arn claimed that the officials came to the site looking to extort money.

“I did not shoot to scare them,” he was quoted as saying. “They came after I finished shooting. They came for tea money and I didn’t want to meet them. They are such dogs – if you don’t give them money, then they cause trouble like that.”

Sam Arn later added that he would have given the officials the money if he had had any on him.

Ministry spokesman Yos Monirath said yesterday that the ministry had yet to investigate Sam Arn’s extortion claims, but filed the complaint because “we cannot accept this . . . He insulted us.”

“We’re going to wait until we go to court for him to clarify and bring his evidence,” Monirath said.

The complaint does not mention the alleged shooting. Last month, authorities said they were searching for Sam Arn after he fired shots into the ground to scare off officials, and about 20 bullet casings were collected from the scene.

Mines and Energy Minister Suy Sem, who signed the ministry’s complaint, claims that Sam Arn’s comments “insulted public servants”.

“Comparing the servants to animals affects the dignity of the officials,” the complaint reads. “It not only affects the officials, but the ministry as a whole.”

According to Sem, an inspection team went to check Sam Arn’s digging site in Sa’ang district’s Svay Ralum commune last month to inform him that he was breaking the law and that the operation was disturbing people living in the area.

After the ministry asked Sam Arn to stop the operation, he became angry and went to the media, the letter claims.

Sam Arn and his wife, Chan Mony, operated three unregistered digging sites and should both face charges under the mining law, according to the letter.

Tin Sochetra, spokesman at the Kandal Provincial Court, said the court had received the complaint and is investigating. “We will call all the relevant people, like the plaintiffs and defendants, for questioning soon,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and