Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Minister apologises for wedding traffic snarls



Minister apologises for wedding traffic snarls

Minister apologises for wedding traffic snarls

Interior Minister Sar Kheng yesterday issued a public apology for the traffic congestion caused by his son’s wedding in central Phnom Penh last week.

Following local media reports last week of heavy traffic build up in the streets around Sar Kheng’s mansion on Norodom Boulevard during the lavish three-day event, the interior minister’s cabinet released a letter to local media, apologising to commuters and residents for the “unintentional disturbance”.

“Sar Kheng deeply and sincerely thanks the public, who wholeheartedly understand his obligation as the parents who have to fulfill their traditional duties,” the letter reads.

Despite Norodom Boulevard being partially fenced off during the event, which ran from January 15 to 17, local authorities were able to manage traffic without completely closing down the major thoroughfare, the letter reads.

According to City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche, local officials have been advised that weddings are not allowed to be set up in streets when it will seriously disrupt traffic.

But street closures were needed when it comes to protecting Cambodia’s elite, he added.

“We have to secure the place since all the leaders joined the wedding,” he said, adding that this was not done at the request of Sar Kheng.

Social researcher Kem Lay, who recently entered the political sphere, yesterday urged City Hall and Cambodia’s upper echelon to apply the rules consistently to everybody.

“[They need to] stop setting a bad example for the public.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration