Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministries have no plans to act on Zaman request



Ministries have no plans to act on Zaman request

The Education Ministry says it is powerless to shut down the Kingdom’s Zaman schools despite a request from the Turkish ambassador.
The Education Ministry says it is powerless to shut down the Kingdom’s Zaman schools despite a request from the Turkish ambassador. Hong Menea

Ministries have no plans to act on Zaman request

The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport has no plans to comply with a request from the Turkish ambassador to shut down Zaman schools in Cambodia, a spokesman said yesterday.

Last month, Turkish Ambassador Ilhan Tug said his country was seeking the closure of all schools affiliated with the Gulen Movement, founded by Fethullah Gulen. Gulen has been labelled as a terrorist by Turkey and is accused of being the mastermind behind the recent attempted coup.

The ministry – which yesterday was promoting scholarships for students to attend the Zaman International secondary school on its Facebook page – has been notably silent on the matter.

However, Ministry Spokesman Ros Salin yesterday said the “status quo” would continue. The ministry could suspend a school’s licence if the institution did not comply with regulations, he said, “but in this case, it’s a political matter”.

“It’s a matter of bilateral relationship between two countries,” he said. “We cannot take any action at the technical level.”

Salin said the schools – including the Zaman International secondary and primary schools in Phnom Penh along with Zaman University – have undergone regular inspections.

Inspections covered the school’s programs, management and facilities. When schools were not in compliance, they faced punishment, he said. “Normally, if the schools are inspected, and the schools are in compliance, they continue to run as normal,” he said.

Salin added that any action against the Zaman schools would need to come from higher up in the government.

Hakan Atasever, public relations director for Zaman, said school officials hadn’t received any notifications from the government. “We are operating as normal,” he said.

Chum Sounry, Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman, said the ministry still had not received an official request from the Turkish government to shut the schools. “Without a request, we do nothing,” he said.

Commerce Ministry spokeswoman Soeng Sophary said her ministry also had yet to receive an official request.

Regardless, she said officials can’t simply close the schools. Discussions and planning would need to take place before any action. “There are many steps to follow,” she said.

The Turkish Embassy said the matter was an ongoing process, which had already begun. The “official demarche” was made last week.

“We prefer not to disclose any further details for the time being,” the embassy said via email.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could