Officials from the Ministry of Interior will meet tomorrow to review the results of an investigation into a crackdown that left four dead on Veng Sreng Boulevard in Phnom Penh last month, a police spokesman said.
After saying on Tuesday that a report on the investigation’s findings would be released within a day or two, National Police spokesman Kirth Chantharith said yesterday a decision had been made to “let the ministry meet first”.
“From what I’ve heard, [the meeting] is on Friday,” he said. “The ministry has to meet to examine the results of the investigation.”
Chantharith would not confirm whether those results will be released tomorrow.
Security forces opened fire with live ammunition on a crowd of protesters and striking garment workers in Phnom Penh on January 3, killing four. Dozens of others – including security forces – were injured in the clash.
According to the National Police’s website, National Police chief Neth Savoeun was president of the investigation committee.
Ith Rady, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Justice, also said the meeting would take place tomorrow.