Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry campaign to ease documentation

Ministry campaign to ease documentation

Labour Minister Ith Sam Heng, seen speaking at an event earlier this year, met with the Thai labour minister in Bangkok regarding migrant worker deportations.
Labour Minister Ith Sam Heng, seen speaking at an event earlier this year, met with the Thai labour minister in Bangkok regarding migrant worker deportations. Photo supplied

Ministry campaign to ease documentation

The Ministry of Labour yesterday launched a 100-day campaign to legalise undocumented migrant workers who could face fines and imprisonment in Thailand when a harsh new immigration law goes into effect, according to Minister of Labour Ith Sam Heng.

After a meeting with the Thai Labour Ministry in Bangkok, Sam Heng said the Thai government will open almost 90 centres in Thailand to issue temporary identity cards valid for six months.

He said the centres would issue the identity cards for 15 days between July 24 and August 7. Ten centres will be based in Bangkok, and one in each of the 76 Thai provinces.

He also announced that the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok, which normally does not provide passport services, will issue passports for the upcoming six months before harsh punishments for illegal migrants and for employers go into effect at the end of the year.

He said a normal passport would cost about $28, while it would cost about $75 for an expedited passport obtained within a day. Within 100 days, the Cambodian government will try to legalise 160,000 undocumented migrants, he said.

Ith Samheng said there are 1,050,000 Cambodian migrant workers in Thailand, of whom 300,000 are undocumented. He said that 40,000 Cambodians worked in the fishery sector.

“The Ministry of Labour of Thailand just brought this new law to the National Assembly, and they delayed the enforcement of this law until January 1, 2018,” he said. “They told me that the Thai government has no intention to deport Cambodian migrant workers.”

Still, Poipet border police officer Sin Namyong said that more than 500 workers returned from Thailand yesterday and 772 did so on Wednesday. This brings the total number of returnees to at least 6,300 since returns first spiked on June 28.

The Thai law imposes imprisonment and fines of up to $3,000 on undocumented workers, and hefty fines on employers. After a backlash from stakeholders, the Thai government backtracked temporarily and suspended the implementation of fines until December 31.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a press release outlining its efforts to “find a solution to the recent chaotic situation affecting the Cambodian workers in Thailand”.

“The Ministry wishes to make known that the top leader of the Royal Government of Cambodia is intervening with the Thai government in order to find a suitable solution to this situation.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said