Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry, Chinese firm spar over Siem Reap mine

Ministry, Chinese firm spar over Siem Reap mine

Ministry, Chinese firm spar over Siem Reap mine

The Ministry of Mines and Energy is currently working to withdraw the licence of a copper mining company in Siem Reap province’s Chi Kraeng district that it accuses of operating illegally for more than a year.

The Siem Reap Provincial Court finally shut down operations at Meng Xin Hong Fa (Cambodia) Resources Investment Co about two weeks ago, some 15 months after its operating licence expired, and four months after it was allegedly intercepted by Kampong Thom province authorities as it attempted to illegally ship about 40 tonnes of refined copper to Phnom Penh, according to Meng Saktheara, secretary of state at the ministry.

“We are checking the legal procedures with the intention of cancelling the contract, because the company stole national resources and must not be allowed to run anymore,” he said. “The contract is very likely to end.”

Meng Xin Hong Fa applied for a new licence around the time its old one expired in October 2014 but, as the company’s business was growing, the ministry ordered it to suspend its operations until it had conducted new impact assessments and improved the standards of its mines and processing facility. The company, however, allegedly continued to mine some 3,000 tonnes of unprocessed copper ore, Saktheara said.

The ministry has sued the company for transporting copper without permission and for operating without a licence.

Khorn Sokal, the provincial investigating judge, said that the copper had been seized as evidence, and the company had been ordered to appear for questioning in the coming days, though no arrests have been made.

A staffer from the company declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At