Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry defends call for protestors to be beaten with bamboo




Ministry defends call for protestors to be beaten with bamboo

Social Affairs Minister Vong Soth speaks at the Ministry’s annual meeting in February in Phnom Penh.
Social Affairs Minister Vong Soth speaks at the Ministry’s annual meeting in February in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

Ministry defends call for protestors to be beaten with bamboo

Social Affairs Minister Vong Soth’s remarks last week that anyone protesting the results of next year’s national election would be attacked with bamboo were not meant as a threat, but simply as a “reminder” of how the government would deal with dissent, the ministry insisted in a statement.

Speaking at a ceremony last Monday, Soth said that Prime Minister Hun Sen had made it clear to any would-be post-election opposition protesters that “the bottom end of the bamboo will hit their heads, and they will not be allowed to have the right to protest”.

The following day, Cambodia National Rescue Party lawmaker Cheam Channy described the remark as “a threat against the people”, but in a statement on Thursday, the Social Affairs Ministry maintained that Soth was simply describing the government’s stated policies.

“Vong Soth’s remark was not a threat, and it was just a reminder for the extremists who always cause disruptions to the people’s happiness through their protests against the results of the election, like in the past,” the statement said.

“Moreover, the leader’s remark was encouragement for the security and safety of the upcoming elections in Cambodia, without allowance for opportunists to cause instability and destroy Cambodia’s peace.”

The CNRP led months of protests after the July 2013 national election, which it said was marred by mass irregularities. The protests dovetailed with a nationwide strike of garment workers but the demonstrations were violently suppressed in January 2014.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for kidnapping in capital

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia