Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry of Defense commissions 83 new generals

Ministry of Defense commissions 83 new generals

Ministry of Defense commissions 83 new generals

promo.jpg
promo.jpg

IN A MILITARY with an already disproportionately high percentage of officers compared to regular soldiers, the Ministry of Defense recently promoted 80 colonels to one-star generals, while five brigadier generals received an extra star on their lapels. At the same time, three former Khmer Rouge commanders, Pol Ngorn, Khem Ngun and Khem Tem, were appointed brigadier generals.

General Tea Banh gives General Ou Kim Neun a new star

This latest series of promotions comes at a time when pending military reform threatens to reduce and restructure the Cambodian armed forces that are already heavily overstocked.

However, a military analyst points out that the move may not be completely contradictory to future demobilization and reform plans.

Half of the newly-promoted officers are not CPP-aligned, but are primarily Funcinpec loyalists who have been left out in earlier promotion bouts. Upgrading their ranks is an important step in creating a politically neutral and balanced military.

"From a military point of view, the promotions make no sense. There is nothing professional in them at all. But politically it has some positive points," says the analyst.

"The defense is heading toward some hard decisions in terms of demobilization and reform. This helps create a certain normalization before the restructuring begins."

Co-minister of Defense Tea Banh refused to comment on the promotions, saying that they had already taken place, so there was nothing to talk about.

Meanwhile, Senator Nhek Bun Chhay welcomed the move warmly. Among the promoted officers are several of the former rebel fighters that he led after the factional fighting in July 1997.

While almost all of Bun Chhay's 5,000 rebel soldiers were fully reintegrated in the armed forces in February this year, more than 100 officers have been waiting until now to receive their military identity cards and official commissions.

During the last two weeks, cards have been issued and positions delegated to all former rebel officers who are now waiting to be dispatched to military regions around the country - some with newly granted promotions in their pockets.

"This is very good news. Now everything will be just like before for the officers," Bun Chhay said last week.

He also contended that any remaining former rebel fighters will soon be reintegrated into RCAF as well. According to Bun Chhay, another 5,000 discharged soldiers are still waiting in villages near the Thai border and approximately 1,000 weapons have yet to be handed in.

The slow process of verifying names and identities of these 5,000 men continues. But the military analyst doubts that they will ever be allowed into the armed forces.

"These people were not on the nominal roles before the July 1997 fighting. They were recruited afterwards and have never been part of the army. I think it is most unlikely that they will ever be let into RCAF."

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Angkor Beer, 30 Years of Prestige and Still Counting

    Let’s celebrate 30 years of prestige with Angkor Beer. In this 2022, Angkor Beer is 30 years old and has been staying with Cambodian hearts in all circumstances. Head of core beer portfolio, EmYuthousaid, “We have been with Cambodians for three decades now. We, ANGKOR Beer, pride

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,