The financial policy committee of the Ministry of Economy and Finance is drafting the “Urban Solid Waste Management 2019-2028” policy to address waste management in Phnom Penh. Once approved, it will protect public health and the environment.
Minister of Economy and Finance Aun Pornmoniroth, who is the chairman of the financial policy committee, led an inter-ministerial meeting on Tuesday to discuss the draft policy.
Draft amendments to articles 4, 8 and 10 of Sub-Decree No 238 of November 21, 2016, on the establishment of environmental and social funds, were also examined.
The meeting was joined by the senior leadership of the relevant ministries and government institutions to collect further input on the draft policy.
“Introducing a policy on urban solid waste management is urgent and fundamental in solving current and future problems. It is aimed at promoting public health, protecting the environment and ensuring the attractiveness of central areas of Phnom Penh in the best interest of the nation.
“Greater attention must be paid to strengthening urban solid waste management through recycling. This must come within the framework of the policy, as well as specific action plans, and be strictly implemented,” the Ministry of Economy and Finance said.
The financial policy committee said the draft policy will be implemented by the relevant ministries and institutions, and those involved in urban solid waste management.
It will also encourage Phnom Penh’s sub-national level administrations to carry out solid waste management while creating investment opportunities for the private sector in providing services.
It will promote public participation and the involvement of development partners.
Phnom Penh Municipal Hall’s Waste Management and Environment managing director Nuon Samnavuth has said that the Kingdom produces more than 10,000 tonnes of waste every day, or more than 3.6 million tonnes a year.
Phnom Penh alone accounts for between 20,000 and 30,000 tonnes of waste daily, he said.
Last year, the business licence of Cintri (Cambodia) Ltd, Phnom Penh’s only waste disposal contractor, was revoked, with the government temporarily taking over its services before putting waste disposal rights up for bidding.
The move came after numerous complaints about the company’s quality of service.
The Post previously reported that in 2017, Cintri employed some 1,500 workers and was equipped primarily with trucks and pushcarts to collect the mountains of trash on the streets.
The firm has been the only waste management company operating in Phnom Penh since 2002 – when it was given an exclusive 47-year contract.