Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry of Environment to acquire particulate monitors for provinces



Ministry of Environment to acquire particulate monitors for provinces

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said the ministry has been keeping a close watch on the Kingdom’s air quality. hean rangsey

Ministry of Environment to acquire particulate monitors for provinces

The Ministry of Environment said it plans on acquiring 15 particulate monitors, which can measure air particulates with 10 and 2.5 micrometres in diameter (PM10 and PM2.5), for installation in the provinces.

Meanwhile, Ministry secretary of state and spokesman Neth Pheaktra said on Monday that the air quality in the capital and provinces had returned to normal.

His remarks were made at a press conference held by the Royal Government Spokespersons Unit at the Council of Ministers.

“Last week, our Kingdom encountered a problem – air quality in the country dropped due to an increase in PM2.5 concentration levels. But in one week, we saw the quality improve and return to normal,” he said.

He called on the public not to be too concerned about the air quality issue as the ministry has been keeping a close watch on the situation and will promptly inform them of any development.

The ministry’s environmental protection director Heng Nareth said the primary air pollutants were the rising plumes of smoke from factories, diesel-powered vehicles, forest fires and the burning of rice stubble and solid waste.

He said air pollutants fall under different categories including particulate matter, nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide.

He also noted that the ministry is properly equipped with tools and devices needed to monitor air quality in the Kingdom – a monitoring programme that has been observed since 1998.

“Over the years, we have continued installing these monitoring devices to ensure public health and safety. We are planning on buying another 15 monitors which could measure PM2.5 and PM10 simultaneously and install them in the provinces.

“We can now receive the data we need from provinces via the internet, allowing us to stay updated with the air quality at all times,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting