Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry has contest to combat fake news

Ministry has contest to combat fake news

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A man reads a newspaper near Wat Langka pagoda in Phnom Penh. Post Pix

Ministry has contest to combat fake news

The Ministry of Information announced its first-ever video competition in a bid to draw practical ideas from the public to help combat fake news.

“The contest aims to motivate the public to create a meaningful educational video to fight fake news.

Nobody will be discriminated against since we want to explore ideas from every angle,” Ministry of Information spokesman and Department of Information and Broadcasting director-general Phos Sovann told The Post.

Creators are encouraged to submit a five-minute educational video under the theme Making Fake News Negatively Affects Society.

The competition will be held until October 18.

A panel of retired ministry advisers and retired officials will judge submissions before announcing the winners by the end of this year.

The first prize winner will be awarded $1,000, while the runner up and third-place winners will receive $750 and $350, respectively, Sovann said.

He said the idea to host a competition was inspired after a meeting between the ministry and the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development last August in Angkor City, Siem Reap province.

The government has attempted to clarify a number of fake news stories which spread rapidly through social media in the past few months – from pictures circulating on social media which falsely depicted vandalised bas-reliefs of Apsara spirits at the Preah Vihear temple, to US-led propaganda that Cambodia had leased Ream Naval Base to the Chinese Navy.

During his annual correspondents’ dinner this year, Prime Minister Hun Sen told journalists that he too had been a victim of fake news claiming he had died.

The ministries of Interior and Justice and relevant officials are currently reviewing a draft law on cybercrime which will also address the issue of fake news online.

Nop Vy, the director of the Cambodian Centre for Independent Media, said the video competition will play an important role in preventing the dissemination of “toxic” fake news.

“The government should expand media education about fake news for people and the private sector should also contribute in these efforts so that Cambodians are able to identify between real and fake news,” Vy said.

Those interested in the competition must submit their resumes along with the video and an explanation directly to the Department of Information and Broadcasting or via email to [email protected].

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in

  • No ‘Crown Prince’ exists to buy France football club: ministry

    The Ministry of the Royal Palace has denied media reports that a Cambodian “Crown Prince” had purchased the AS Saint Etienne football club of France’s top-flight LIGUE 1 at the cost of €100 million ($117 million). In a press statement on September 19, the ministry stressed that Cambodia