Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry of Health issues series of precautions for the holidays

Ministry of Health issues series of precautions for the holidays

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A chicken salesman weighs his birds at Orussey Market on Sunday. Sreng Meng Srun

Ministry of Health issues series of precautions for the holidays

The Ministry of Health has issued a statement advising the public to take precautions against rice wine and food poisoning, as well as H5N1 “bird flu” virus, during the upcoming Chinese and Khmer New Years.

Released on Thursday and obtained by The Post on Sunday, the statement reminded people of higher rice wine and food poisoning risks during the holidays as people tend to eat and drink more than the usual.

The statement also detailed the number of H5N1-related cases between 2005 and 2014. At least 56 cases of bird flu had been recorded during the period, with 37 ending in death, it read.

The ministry also called on relevant organisations and authorities to conduct inspections and educate the public on prevention measures against rice wine and food poisoning.

The ministry listed some recommendations in the statement. The people are advised not to consume liquor containing methanol exceeding the maximum allowable level of 0.15 per cent. It also advised the public not to touch dead or live birds which have not been checked by veterinarians.

Furthermore, it is not advisable to consume vegetables with a high chemical content, uncooked fish and meat and spoiled food, the statement said.

It also urged food producers and distributors to refrain from using banned chemical substances on fruits and vegetables, as well as distribute liquor without a licence. The latter includes rice wine that is not brewed in compliance with the technical procedures set by the ministry.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A woman sells roasted pigs at her stall at Orussey Market on Sunday. Sreng Meng Srun

Nheb Sron, the director of Takeo province’s agricultural department, told The Post on Sunday that during Chinese and Khmer New Years, his administration will transport thousands of chickens, ducks and tonnes of vegetables to Phnom Penh.

“Takeo province will not import chickens, ducks or vegetables from Vietnam. On the contrary, after receiving technical support from the Japan International Cooperation Agency, our farmers have successfully raised and produced more than 5,000 chickens, ducks and three tonnes of vegetables,” Sron said.

The Kratie provincial health department director Chhneang Sovutha echoed the ministry’s recommendations on maintaining hygiene.

He said: “Wash hands with water and soap before cooking and eating, as well as after going to the washroom. Producers must be honest with consumers. They must not add chemical substances to food. Following these rules will ensure good health.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said