Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry of Interior sets up checkpoint working group



Ministry of Interior sets up checkpoint working group

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Dom Kralor international border checkpoint in Stung Treng province. Hong Menea

Ministry of Interior sets up checkpoint working group

The Ministry of Interior on Tuesday established a working group to study the opening of new border checkpoints along the Kingdom’s frontier with neighbouring countries.

Interior Minister Sar Kheng signed a letter appointing Sok Phal and Lam Chea as head and deputy of the committee, respectively. Phal and Chea are secretaries of state at the ministry.

The remaining eight members could not be verified.

The group is expected to study the opening of new border checkpoints as agreed with countries that sharing a land border with Cambodia and to discuss procedures with the relevant ministries, according to the letter.

“The working group’s obligations are as follows – to identify problems around the proposed border checkpoints in order to find the proper solutions; facilitate the discussions and negotiations with countries sharing a border with Cambodia in order to urge for the opening of [new] checkpoints,” the letter read.

The group must submit reports, ask their superiors for recommendations and fulfil other tasks as required, it said, adding that the 10 members of the newly-formed group have the right to seek assistance from their subordinates if necessary.

Phal told The Post on Tuesday that the team aims to begin their work later this month.

“The committee will meet on the third or fourth week of this month to prepare and delegate tasks,” he said.

This working group, Phal said, is not obliged to deal with the shutting down of existing checkpoints despite them being established after Sar Kheng had ordered the authorities to put them up to mitigate trafficking cases, including those involving illegal migrant workers.

On January 2, Ministry of National Defence spokesman Chhum Socheat told The Post that last year, the military had uncovered 5,193 crimes along the Kingdom’s frontier.

The border security situation was better last year in comparison to that of 2017, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could