Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry lifts ban on herbicides after Kratie



Ministry lifts ban on herbicides after Kratie

Ministry lifts ban on herbicides after Kratie

The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries on Tuesday lifted its ban on the import, supply and distribution of herbicides.

The ministry had ordered the ban on May 28 after herbicides were suspected in the death of 14 people and hospitalisation of hundreds more in Kratie province earlier that month. The cause of the deaths and illnesses was eventually linked to poisoned rice wine.

The ban included having international-border checkpoints to prevent illegal imports of herbicides and directed relevant departments to continue raising awareness on the risks of herbicide usage.

“In the case of illegal imports of agricultural herbicides, the provincial agriculture departments together with the inspection department will act swiftly to crack down on the matter and ensure farmers were not impacted,” the announcement had read.

There are about 100 companies importing agricultural herbicides and fertilisers registered with the ministry.

Hean Vanhorn, director of the General Department of Agriculture at the Ministry of Agriculture, said while herbicides were cleared of blame in the deaths of Kratie villagers, they can still be dangerous to communities if they are used improperly.

“The ban was a temporary measure while we investigated [the deaths]. We will continue to educate people on the safe use of herbicides. If people pour herbicides in the water, there will be poisoning cases again. We have already checked all the agricultural herbicides and their importers registered with the ministry,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants