Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry repudiates LANGO threats

Ministry repudiates LANGO threats

People march along Phnom Penh’s riverside in July last year during a protest against the controversial Law on Associations and Non-Governmental Organisations.
People march along Phnom Penh’s riverside in July last year during a protest against the controversial Law on Associations and Non-Governmental Organisations. Heng Chivoan

Ministry repudiates LANGO threats

The Ministry of Interior yesterday released a statement rejecting suggestions it would use the controversial NGO Law to shut down groups.

The statement said such assertions were made “without reasonable grounds” and that NGOs were a “key partner” in ensuring Cambodia’s development, adding that the Law on Associations and Non-Governmental Organisations (LANGO) – passed in July amid heavy criticism – was merely to regulate the sector and make establishing groups easier.

In recent weeks, some state officials have characterised some critical NGOs as threats to the country’s stability. The head of the government’s Cambodian Human Rights Committee suggested the LANGO could be used to shut down groups such as rights group Adhoc because their activities violated a clause stipulating organisations should be politically neutral.

Though reassuring NGOs they would not face undue intervention by the state or individuals, the Interior Ministry’s statement did reiterate that groups must comply with the law, including the provision concerning political neutrality. Four Adhoc staffers are currently in jail on charges, panned by critics as politically motivated.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials