Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Minorities march in R'kiri



Minorities march in R'kiri

Minorities march in R'kiri

3-story-1.jpg
3-story-1.jpg

Community representatives and indigenous rights groups say they hope to draw attention to land-grabbing and forest clearing on ancestral lands

Villagers at the protest Thursday in Ratanakkiri.

INDIGENOUS minority villagers marched in Ratanakkiri province Thursday morning, protesting the land-grabbing and illegal logging they say are threatening the traditions and livelihood of their communities.

Around 500 people from the province's various ethnic groups met at the office of local rights group Adhoc in the provincial capital Banlung, marching to Provincial Hall and the Forestry Administration Office to air their grievances.

"The goal of the land march is to stop land-grabbing, clearing state forestry land and anarchic illegal logging," said Chhay Thy, assistant to provincial Adhoc director Pen Bonnar.

About 1,000 people were expected to participate in this year's march - the third held since 2007 - but the turnout was less than expected due to heavy rain the day before.

"Today hundreds of people participated, but some people were not able to join due to the slippery roads caused by yesterday's storm," Chhay Thy said.

He added that provincial authorities had prevented two earlier attempts by Adhoc to organise a protest, on December 19 and May 23, when the protest was dispersed by authorities using fire hoses. But Interior Minister Sar Kheng granted permission for Thursday's protest in September, saying that "Provincial Hall has to cooperate and help to ensure safety, security and order to the peaceful land march".

Soeurn Veav, 36, a community representative from Patang village in Lumphat district, said between 50 and 100 people from his community participated in the march. "Many others in my community wanted to participate in the march, but they have no means of transport," he said.

"We march today to call on local authorities and officials to obey and implement the law, and not take bribes from rich and powerful people to grab community lands."

Vinn Sokhim, 25, a community representative from Toang Kraphu village in O'Chum district, said 70 people from his village took part because of a dispute with a rubber company.

"We participated today to get back 26 hectares of community land. The land was grabbed this year by powerful people for a rubber plantation," he said.

Ek Yothin, provincial program director for the Indigenous Community Support Organisation, said more than 3,000 hectares of land had been seized in Ratanakkiri since 2003 and he said he hoped the march would push the government towards ensuring the responsible management of natural resources.

"We heard a lot of news that after the election the government would take action on land-grabbing in Ratanakkiri, but in reality we did not see any," he said. "We hope that we will be able to change things little by little."

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma