Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Misdirected Blame



Misdirected Blame

Misdirected Blame

John C. Brown's "'Victory' is Not Everything" (Post vol. 2, no. 12) deserves

compliments for the sensible way in which he put the election in proper perspective.

But in the end he blamed the wrong people for possibly misleading the Cambodian public

about 'winners' and 'losers'. It was not the international press, which few Cambodians

see, but UNTAC radio, which "all across Cambodia, citizens [were] glued to...".

Starting on Saturday night, May 29, UNTAC radio enthusiastically announced FUNCINPEC

was ahead in three provinces and Phnom Penh, and this was repeated several times

that night, although as Tim Carney cautioned in a broadcast the following morning,

that was only two percent of the total vote. Thereafter every day the total vote

of each major party and the number of provinces 'won' by each was emphasized and

the proportional process which would determine the number of seats was rarely noted.

This is what influenced the Cambodian public. The international pressmen may not

even have read the Paris Agreement or the electoral law, but the UNTAC Information

Component which runs UNTAC radio is loaded with Cambodia expertise, and they know

precisely what effect their work has on the Cambodian public.

Although it is true that "there has never been a 'loyal opposition' in Cambodia"

(indeed, for leaders in the 1960s 'golden age' to which so many wish to return, the

very idea of opposition was treasonable), Brown should not just blame Hun Sen for

misunderstanding the need for co-operation. Co-operation between the CPP and Prince

Ranariddh's FUNCINPEC in preparation for the election was nearly achieved last year.

The reasons for its failure are still unclear, but one great fear of Pol Pot, expressed

in his seminar of February 1992, was the possible defection of Prince Ranariddh to

Phnom Penh, and one of his major goals for the coming year was to prevent it.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said