Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Missionaries’ donation causes mass food poisoning in Banteay Meanchey




Missionaries’ donation causes mass food poisoning in Banteay Meanchey

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Over one hundred pupils in Banteay Meanchey province simultaneously contract food poisoning after eating packed rice donated by Korean missionaries. Photo supplied

Missionaries’ donation causes mass food poisoning in Banteay Meanchey

Over one hundred pupils aged between six and 12 in Banteay Meanchey province simultaneously contracted food poisoning on Friday, after eating packed rice donated by Korean missionaries.

Of the 142 pupils from Poy Samrong primary school in Preah Netr Preah district’s Preah Netr Preah commune who contracted food poisoning, 12 are still receiving medical treatment at the district referral hospital.

District deputy police chief Heth Chhunhai told The Post on Sunday that the cause of the outbreak was a donation of rice by Korean students visiting as missionaries.

“Korean Christian missionaries visited the children and they offered them rice. Immediately after eating the rice, the children were taken to hospital as they became dehydrated and weak as they were vomiting and had diarrhoea,” he said.

Chhunhai continued that authorities sent the food to a laboratory, concluding that vegetables in the rice carried chemicals that made the children ill.

The missionaries said they bought the food in the province’s Sisophon town and cooked it themselves. Authorities questioned the missionaries but did not detain them, allowing them to return to Korea.

Poy Samrong primary school director Vath Vong could not be reached for comment, but he earlier confirmed to a local online media outlet that the Korean students visited the school to promote the Christian faith.

“They played games with children in addition to distributing candy, rice, drinking water and T-shirts,” he said.

In 2017, over 300 people in Pursat province’s Phnom Kravanh district were hospitalised after eating contaminated food at an event. Similarly, in November last year over 50 students at a primary school in Kampong Thom province’s Stoung district was sent to the hospital after eating contaminated food at school.

Banteay Meanchey provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, Sum Chankea, said authorities seem incapable of preventing incidents of mass food poisoning.

He expressed worry that such incidents will continue with greater frequency in future and stressed that government officials are responsible for preventing the problem.

“They only put effort into preventing it once the problem has already happened, but before it has happened they pay very little attention to it. The assistance they are offering at the moment is a good thing, but the attention should be given before it happens,” he said.

A Ministry of Health report said that between 2015 and 2017, 47 people died of food poisoning in the Kingdom. Another 3,777 reported suffering serious incidents of food poisoning.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Passing the test: Is Cambodia’s education system failing its people?

    The Kingdom’s education system needs to grow its people but some flaws might stifle​ this growth Coming from the Khmer Rouge occupation, with the loss of many scholars and academicians and a collapsed government, the education system had to be reconstructed from scratch – one

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia