A 21-year-old man died in Pursat province on Friday from a snake bite that Khmer traditional healers had been treating for more than a month.
Sim Chhon was bitten in early October when he was logging in Kravanh district forest. His father took him to the provincial hospital, but was afraid his son’s leg would be amputated, Ptah Rung commune chief Chhuon Khorn told the Post.
“So the father took his son back home for treatment by Khmer traditional doctors.” Sim Chhon’s health continued to deteriorate over the month and last week his family took him back to the hospital, but doctors there could not save him, the commune chief said.
Ky Kien Hong, director of Pursat provincial hospital, said people seemed to still hold the erroneous belief that a snake bite will automatically require an amputation and avoid seeking medical treatment at the hospital, which often leads to more serious medical complications and even death.