Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mitr Phol evictees eye return to former land



Mitr Phol evictees eye return to former land

People watch a community building burn next to a sugar plantation belonging to Thailand’s Mitr Phol Sugar Corporation in Oddar Meanchey after authorities set it ablaze during a 2009 eviction. Photo supplied
People watch a community building burn next to a sugar plantation belonging to Thailand’s Mitr Phol Sugar Corporation in Oddar Meanchey after authorities set it ablaze during a 2009 eviction. Photo supplied

Mitr Phol evictees eye return to former land

Hundreds of displaced Oddar Meanchey farmers will return to their land within a fortnight, with or without authorisation, community leader Hoy Mai said yesterday.

Thousands of people were violently evicted from their homes and farmland when the government granted economic land concessions (ELC) totalling 20,000 hectares to Thai sugar giant Mitr Phol in 2008. When Mitr Phol, amid ongoing controversy, vacated the site in March of last year, it handed the land not to its previous occupants, but the state.

Hoy Mai said yesterday that the community lodged a petition asking for their land back in February, which was then passed on to Provincial Governor Sor Thavy. Today, Mai and 200 others plan to march to Thavy’s office to request a response.

“Whether the governor allows us back or not, we will still go to our land,” Mai said. “We are scared, but we have to struggle. We experienced being evicted. So we are not afraid.”

Thavy and other provincial officials could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Eang Vuthy, executive director of Equitable Cambodia, said yesterday it was time for the land to be returned to its previous owners.

“I think the government has to work with the people, because the land now has been given back to the government, so the government has the right to return the land to the people,” Vuthy said.

Than Nhoy, one of those evicted in 2008, said he has been planting crops on the former ELC since last year, despite requests from authorities not to.

“I’ll still do it, no matter what the authorities will do, because I don’t have any land besides this,” Nhoy said. “It’s my land. I inherited it from my mother, who had it since the Lon Nol era.”

While those displaced by Mitr Phol’s plantation continue to seek resolution, civil society groups – Equitable Cambodia among them – have been voicing concern that the company has been readmitted as a member of Bonsucro, a self-described “change platform” for the sugar industry.

Mitr Phol resigned from the organisation in 2012 following a 2011 complaint over its behaviour in Oddar Meanchey. Their resignation voided the complaint against them, Bonsucro chief executive Simon Usher explained yesterday.

“We’ve been arguing that Mitr Phol has to address the problem or their membership application should have been denied,” Vuthy said.

Usher said yesterday that the organisation itself has no capacity to refuse an applicant membership, but that anyone can challenge an application in the first 30 days after it has been lodged.

“Part of the challenge we’re having here is that we didn’t reach out to and alert the people who might want to challenge it,” Usher said, adding that Bonsucro was making efforts to bring about a positive resolution to the dispute, as a result of which he said, Mitr Phol are soon to announce “additional activity” designed to redress the situation.

A previous version of this article used the name of Oddar Meanchey's previous provincial governor, Brach Chan. The current governor is Sor Thavy. The Post apologises for any confusion caused.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said