Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mondulkiri committee finds more than 10ha of protected forest cleared




Mondulkiri committee finds more than 10ha of protected forest cleared

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Mondulkiri authority creates committee to identify landgrabbers. Photo supplied

Mondulkiri committee finds more than 10ha of protected forest cleared

A Mondulkiri provincial committee has discovered six forest locations totalling more than 10ha in a protected area of Pech Chreada district’s Bou Sra commune that has been cleared for farming.

Several people have been detained but authorities are looking to find land for them in another area to enable a land swap.

Phnom Namlear Wildlife Sanctuary director Vuth Sarum told The Post on Monday that provincial governor Svay Sam Eang had formed the committee to process land identification in the O’Pot and O’Ronav areas of Bou Sra commune between Wednesday and Friday last week.

He said the working group found that six locations adjacent to each other and covering 10ha had been encroached on and cleared by 30 families earlier this year.

Since making the discovery, he said, expert environmental officials had been searching for more of the loggers and those involved in clearing the land.

Sarum said those who had been found had promised to stop clearing the forest and the officials were consulting with their superiors about the possibility of a land swap.

“We have reported it to our superiors, who have told them to stop clearing the forest. It’s a sanctuary and a place of conservation. We always ban them. If we didn’t ban them, perhaps the land would become a desert,” Sarum said.

Provincial administration chief Hiek Sophan told The Post on Monday that the working group had already carried out their tasks, but the environmental officials are conducting further monitoring and making contracts with the people to stop clearing the area.

He said the authorities had promised to find another location to exchange for the land.

“I don’t know clearly yet about a new location to be swapped for them, but we are discussing it and the environmental officials are also looking for a new location. I don’t have a specific timeframe. We’re waiting for the provincial committee to meet again,” he said.

After hearing of the cleared state land in Pech Chreada district, Sam Eang on February 25 set up the committee – made up of 10 provincial officials and several local officials – to inspect the area and process the identification of those involved.

Governor Sam Eang could not be reached for comments on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.