Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mondulkiri man arrested for son’s brutal murder



Mondulkiri man arrested for son’s brutal murder

Mondulkiri man arrested for son’s brutal murder

The father of an 11-year-old boy, who was brutally murdered last month in Mondulkiri province’s Koh Nhek district, was detained for questioning by provincial police to assist in its investigations.

Deputy provincial police chief Sou Sovan told The Post on Tuesday that he ordered the father to be questioned on the murder of his son, Chouch Lien, who was killed in the middle of a rice field.

Sovan said the father Chel Chouch, 34, appears to have withheld information. He did not tell the police whom he met upon returning, which his neighbours did.

“We waited for him to talk, but he seemed to not want to talk. As for evidence found at the crime scene, we cannot confirm anything yet.

“This case is not revenge because the child was only 11 years old. And it cannot be said that [the boy] had revenge issues with others,” he said.

Sovan said the family was previously accused of practising sorcery and that police wanted Chouch to reveal more information about the murder.

“He knew [something], but he tried to hide it. We suspect that sorcery is behind the murder, but this is just our initial assessment.

“We invited him to share more information with us. He knew more, but he tried to withhold it from us. Still, so far we have not accused him of committing the murder,” Sovan said.

Koh Nhek district police chief Khlout Sokhea said police detained Chouch on Tuesday and asked him to provide additional statements. They then sent him to the provincial police station.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting