Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mondulkiri man charged in timber bust



Mondulkiri man charged in timber bust

Military police hand over a suspected timber transporter and a load of luxury timber to Forestry Administration officials in Kratie province. Photo supplied
Military police hand over a suspected timber transporter and a load of luxury timber to Forestry Administration officials in Kratie province. Photo supplied

Mondulkiri man charged in timber bust

A man allegedly caught driving a car filled with luxury timber was yesterday charged by the Kratie Provincial Court for its illegal collection and transport.

Two Toyota Camrys, both fully loaded with timber from Mondulkiri, were seized on Wednesday night by Kratie officials working off a tip, according to Ti Sovin Thal, provincial court prosecutor.

Thal said officials were only able to apprehend one of the drivers, blaming the other’s escape on a lack of personnel.

“We arrested one driver, while another one managed to drive away because we do not have enough of a force at night,” he said.

The driver was identified as Na Ranou, 30, from Mondulkiri’s provincial capital, Sen Monorom. The prosecutor said the driver was questioned and subsequently charged with transporting and collecting timber, violating articles 96 and 98 of the Forestry Law.

He faces a fine for the “illegal transportation” charge, and could be imprisoned for illegally collecting the timber. “The investigating judge is questioning him,” Thal said.

Illegal logging remains rife in the area. Earlier this month, nearly 100 villagers stormed the Kratie town military police headquarters, physically dragging away two of 10 vans that had been confiscated for illegally transporting timber.

None of the villagers were arrested or charged.

“I was asked to arrest the villagers who stole back the vans and partially damaged a military police car, but I did not order any arrests,” Thal said, refusing to say who gave him the original order.

“I mainly arrest authority officials and prominent traders,” Thal said.

San Bun Than, the provincial military police commander, declined to comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting