Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mondulkiri villagers say officials burned their homes



Mondulkiri villagers say officials burned their homes

Mondulkiri villagers say officials burned their homes

A group of 31 villagers of the Phnong ethnic minority have filed a petition to Mondulkiri provincial authorities to demand the removal of the local environment department director after rangers allegedly torched their homes during a wedding in Sen Monorom district.

While the 22 families of Sokdum commune’s Laoka village attended a wedding on Thursday, a group of eight rangers burned down cottages and houses belonging to seven families, according to village chief Kleum Meul. His brother and nephew’s homes are among them. “They destroyed rice in the sacks, pots, mats, and other stuff. They abused us like they did in the Pol Pot regime,” he said.

Rangers accused the villagers of living in the protected area illegally, Meul said, adding that villagers had settled on the land several years ago under an agreement with then-environment minister Mok Maret.

Chhit Sophal, the director of the provincial environment department, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Samrang Dyvichet, Phnom Prich Wildlife Sanctuary director, acknowledged that his rangers did burn some huts – but not houses – which he claimed were built two months ago.

“The huts were recently built and were set on fire on the recommendation from the provincial governor and the [Ministry of Environment],” Dyvichet said.

However, ministry spokesman Sao Sopheap said such action did not follow ministry policy.

If the villagers were found to be living on the land illegally, “we cannot go and burn those things down right away like that”, he said.

Provincial hall administrative director Hak Sophan said that Sen Monorom authorities had been asked to investigate.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese