Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Monk flees assault case

Monk flees assault case

Monk flees assault case

A Buddhist monk is believed to have fled the United States for Cambodia after accusations of his sexual assault of a teenage girl, according to a United States media report. The Houston Chronicle reported last week the alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl by Por Venh, 41, at Wat Angkorchum a Buddhist temple the girl’s family attended in Texas. The girl told authorities about their alleged relationship after she suspected the monk was involved with another woman. The monk’s attorney notified US investigators on January 4 that his client had left the country and was likely heading to Cambodia.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman