Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More compensation sought for fireworks death




More compensation sought for fireworks death

People stand at the site of a firework explosion in the capital’s Chroy Changvar district last October. The explosion killed one person and injured seven others.
People stand at the site of a firework explosion in the capital’s Chroy Changvar district last October. The explosion killed one person and injured seven others. Eli Meixler

More compensation sought for fireworks death

On the one-year anniversary of the death of 22-year-old Na Kry Daro, who lost his life to a tragic fireworks accident during public celebrations marking the 10th anniversary of King Norodom Sihamoni’s coronation, his grieving parents yesterday renewed calls for compensation.

The university student was taking part in festivities in the capital’s Chroy Changvar district when a fireworks canister set up by soldiers exploded, sending debris into the crowd. The misfire injured seven people and killed Kry Daro at the scene.

As the celebratory fireworks once again sounded over Phnom Penh last night, Kry Daro’s mother Phan Chhun Teng called for the government to offer greater assistance.

“We had one son and one daughter, and now we have lost him; I am in grief,” she said. “We are in hard times now because all of my land was sold to support his studies in hopes that his salary would support the whole family, but everything went wrong and now I am hopeless.”

While the family accepted about $2,000 from the committee behind the display in the wake of the tragedy, they claim that the compensation has proved inadequate.

“Please, Samdech [Hun Sen] kindly gives us some aid. The people who died during the water festival and national holidays, their families received compensation,” she said, referring to the victims of a 2010 stampede on Koh Pich.

The families of victims of the stampede were each allotted about $1,200 from the government and were reportedly given a $2,000 donation by then-governor Kep Chuktema, as well as additional private donations.

City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche reiterated yesterday that the family had been compensated and declined to comment further.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,