Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More details emerge in Phnom Penh grenade attack



More details emerge in Phnom Penh grenade attack

An officer stands at a police line earlier this month as authorities investigate the scene of a grenade explosion.
An officer stands at a police line earlier this month as authorities investigate the scene of a grenade explosion. Heng Chivoan

More details emerge in Phnom Penh grenade attack

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday questioned three Vietnamese nationals in connection with the September 6 grenade attack in Phnom Penh’s Boeung Keng Kang III commune, a day after at least five suspects were taken into police custody.

While police and court officials remained tight-lipped as to the possible motive or identities of those questioned, a police officer at the Ministry of Interior said Sok Kimly, a Vietnamese woman who was arrested on Tuesday night, had masterminded the attack, and another man, Pak Map, had been hired to drop the grenade.

The officer, who requested anonymity, said the two were still being interrogated and that Kimly had attempted to take revenge on a lover.

On Wednesday, a Singaporean national had demanded to meet his Vietnamese wife at the Ministry of Interior, only to be sent away by authorities, who said she was involved in plotting the attack.

“She [Kimly] had an affair with another man,” the officer said yesterday. “The two had bought a house together as husband and wife, but he wanted to break up, so she hired [people] to kill him.”

The attack injured four people and damaged four cars, with security footage showing a grenade being dropped from a passing motorbike and exploding on the driver’s side of a white Lexus SUV as it passed by.

While between five and seven people were questioned on Wednesday, Sok Khemarin, chief of the Ministry of Interior’s penal police department, said authorities were on the lookout for two additional suspects.

He added that police would divulge more information today, with municipal penal police chief Eng Sophea saying close to 90 percent of the investigation has been completed.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said