Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More maids missing in Malaysia: parents

More maids missing in Malaysia: parents

More maids missing in Malaysia: parents

Parents of four girls sent to work as maids in Malaysia filed a complaint with Adhoc yesterday in Preah Vihear province saying they had not heard from their daughters for anywhere from two to nearly five years.

Prak Leat, 41, said her daughter had left for work in Malaysia in 2008 with the Philimore company when she was 15 years old and she had received no information about her since.

“Since my daughter left, I have not received any information about her or any of her salary,” Prak Leat said yesterday.

“It is now nearly five years, and we are helpless to find them in Malaysia, so we went to Adhoc for help.”

Prak Leat added that the brokers who recruited girls from the village had demanded families sell their property to pay for training expenses.

Prak Leat avoided selling her land, but said the other three families had been left with nothing.

Previous requests from Prak Leat to Philimore were fruitless.

“I used to go to the company in Phnom Penh to ask, but they told me my daughter had run away from the house where she lived,” Prak Leat said, adding that the company had promised her it would continue searching for her daughter and would assume responsibility if her daughter was dead.

Adhoc investigator Hou Mabonny said that the other three female workers were sent to Malaysia via T&P Company and they had not been heard from in more than two years.

Both T&P Company and Philimore have had their operations suspended since a ban against sending Cambodian domestic workers to Malaysia was put in place in October last year.

Adhoc coordinator Lor Chan said that Adhoc would prepare necessary documentation and pass on the complaint to relevant ministries.

Lor Chan added that although labour recruitment companies were shut down, the company owners must still be responsible for maids already sent to Malaysia.

To contact the reporter on this story: Phak Seangly at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh