Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More set to leave Borei Keila

More set to leave Borei Keila

A exterior view of ‘Building F’, where many remaining Borei Keila land disputants are squatting.
A exterior view of ‘Building F’, where many remaining Borei Keila land disputants are squatting. Hong Menea

More set to leave Borei Keila

Two more families have accepted compensation to leave the Borei Keila area to make room for development, as the long-running land dispute creeps ever closer to an end.

Hundreds of families saw their homes destroyed in 2012 to make way for a project by developer Phanimex. Although the majority of residents have since accepted compensation or moved to relocation sites, some holdouts remain.

One group of 11 families was given an ultimatum in December to accept City Hall’s offers or face eviction empty-handed. They have since been offered more in compensation, but all but two families are still holding out.

Danh Kongkea, a member of the group of nine families, yesterday said she was still waiting to hear from the municipality about the next steps. “We will have a meeting again with our group to discuss what we will do next – whether to protest or wait to hear from the municipality,” she said.

Read more: Borei Keila eviction, 6 years on

Twenty-six of another group of 30 residents have accepted financial compensation, a home at a relocation site on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, or both.

The most recent are Kao Chanthou and Moeun Bunthoeun, who agreed on Friday to move to Andong village and accepted $2,000.

Chanthou yesterday said she had no choice but to take the offer. “It is hard for us to wait and get what we want,” she said. “So I have to close my eyes and accept that compensation.”

An additional 11 families are also being considered for compensation by City Hall, said Vann Sophath, of the Cambodian Center for Human Rights.

City Hall spokesman Met Measpheakdey and District Governor Lim Sophea declined to comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Website advises travellers to stay clear of Angkor Wat

    An Australian website has advised travellers to avoid Angkor Wat during their trip to Southeast Asia because the ancient temple is showing signs of rapid erosion and faced water management issues. In a recent article entitled Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid

  • Chinese firms to build new PP airport

    Three enterprises, all Chinese-owned, have been chosen to build the new airport that will service the Cambodian capital, the company in charge of the project said. Cambodia Airport Investment Co Ltd said a total of five companies had entered the bidding process. Yee Con Long,

  • Passenger taxi boat ridership sinks despite free services

    Passenger taxi boat traffic has dropped by about five per cent compared to the same period last year, despite the government providing free service for garment workers until next year, Phnom Penh Autonomous Bus Transportation Authority director Ean Sokhim said on Monday. In 2018, the Phnom

  • Shipments of mango to South Korea poised to begin this week

    Exports of Cambodian mangoes to South Korea will begin this week after Korean authorities gave the nod. The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries’ Department of Plant Protection, Sanitary and Phytosanitary Requirements director Ker Monthivuth told The Post on Sunday that after several inspections of

  • Kingdom drafting new law to strengthen immigration

    The Ministry of Interior on Tuesday said it had formed a working group to draft amendments to the Law on Immigration. Its secretary of state Sok Phal told The Post that the amendments will strengthen the management of immigrants in line with the current situation.

  • First deportees of the year touch down in Cambodia

    Twenty-five Cambodian-Americans landed in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, marking the first such deportations of the year. “On Wednesday, US law enforcement authorities deported 25 Cambodian nationals that immigration judges determined had no legal basis to remain in the US,” said Arend Zwartjes, spokesperson for the US