Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mosque road case goes to court in Phnom Penh

Mosque road case goes to court in Phnom Penh

Ahmad Yahya (center), secretary of state at the Ministry of Social Affairs, leaves Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday.
Ahmad Yahya (center), secretary of state at the Ministry of Social Affairs, leaves Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Hong Menea

Mosque road case goes to court in Phnom Penh

Lawyers for Muslim community leader Othsman Hassan said their client is seeking $1 million from fellow community leader Ahmad Yahya in a defamation case pertaining to a mosque-adjacent road that was heard at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday.

Hassan, a secretary of state at the Ministry of Labour, launched the defamation case against Yahya, himself a secretary of state at the Ministry of Social Affairs, for allegedly telling the Thmey Thmey local media outlet on April 28 and a Muslim radio station that Hassan had requested approval to build a road through land belonging to the mosque at Boeung Kak.

The road has created tension among the Muslim community over concerns that it would disturb people during prayers, with Yahya having told Thmey Thmey that “when they build the road, the land, good land, that we have will become bad . . . and in all of this there is no one behind it besides Othsman Hassan”, according to a passage read out in court.

Yahya was also quoted in local media as saying that those who managed the area would benefit because they would build condominiums.

During the hearing, Yahya denied having referred to Hassan as a direct beneficiary of the project but maintained that Hassan was behind the project and had helped map out the development.

Hassan was not present yesterday, but one of his lawyers, Koy Kunthy, displayed a map in court that he said was an official map from Phnom Penh City Hall and hadn’t been produced by his client. Yahya claimed that until yesterday he didn’t know there was any such official map.

Hassan couldn’t be reached for comment.

Yahya went on to say yesterday that Hassan was his nephew, and asked the court to dismiss the case because it would create political and familial conflict. “It is up to the court, but please give me justice,” he said.

A verdict is due on August 15.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa