Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mother Vows to Take Revenge



Mother Vows to Take Revenge

Mother Vows to Take Revenge

The mother of a 19-year-old Cambodian woman who alleged she was raped by an UNTAC

official has vowed to take justice into her own hands after a U.N. panel ruled there

was insufficient evidence to make a conclusive finding on the case.

"I want to know how this kind of totally improper behavior can be allowed. If

nobody can find justice for me, I'll find it myself," she said without elaborating.

Since a United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC) panel made its

ruling on the case on Nov 13 last year, the mother has made repeated calls for the

investigation to be reopened but without success.

"I'm very disappointed that it has already been five months and many letters

and still they have done nothing," said the mother who was also the landlady

where the man stayed.

"I do not want compensation but justice...I thought that UNTAC had big powers

, that they came to Cambodia to help us, but it is not so, they have done nothing

right," she said.

The original complaint was lodged on behalf of the daughter against a French employee

of the UNTAC provincial director.

In the complaint, the daughter said she was raped and after the rape, when the man

tried to escape from the room, she struggled, tore his shirt, scratched his fore-arm

and screamed.

When the ruckus attracted the attention of neighbors and the house hold, the man

began to throw some of her belongings out of the room and tried to break the lock

to the door so as to create a different impression in the minds of the onlookers,

she said.

In his account, the accused man said that the woman, who had been working as a maid,

asked to resign but on the agreed date refused to vacate her room. As a result, he

took some of her belongings from the room and tried to remove the lock so that she

could not lock herself inside the room.

He further said that his shirt was torn and fore-arm scratched in an attempt by the

woman to prevent him from removing the door lock.

A medical examination was carried out three days after the complaint was received

and French U.N. Civilian Police interviewed neighbors about the incident.

But neither yielded conclusive evidence, the UNTAC report said.

The UNTAC panel ruled that the Frenchman's behavior in throwing the woman's belongings

out of the room was inappropriate but that there was not enough evidence to prove

much else.

Copies of the panel's report were sent to UNTAC officials, local authorities, human

rights groups and NGOs.

Kien Serey Phal, president of the Phnom Penh Municipal Women's Association, assailed

the investigation.

"Of course they are going to say it was too late and the doctor could not identify

any proof.

"At the very least, this case should have been used to send a warning to UNTAC

personnel against abusing their powers," she said.

UNTAC officials declined to comment on the case saying the investigation had been

closed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and