Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - MP appeals to Hun Sen over son’s shooting



MP appeals to Hun Sen over son’s shooting

MP appeals to Hun Sen over son’s shooting

OPPOSITION parliamentarian Yont Tharo has sought help from National Assembly President Heng Samrin and Prime Minister Hun Sen in resolving the eight-month old case of his son’s killing.

The Sam Rainsy Party (SRP) parliamentarian said Thursday that despite the fact that a warrant was issued in December for the suspect in the case – 30-year-old Bun Vimol, an anti-drug police officer at the Ministry of Interior – local police had yet to take any action.

“The police have not seemed to pay any attention to arresting the suspect at all, and as a result, the suspect walks in and out of the Ministry of Interior freely,” Yont Tharo wrote last week in a letter that he said had been forwarded by Heng Samrin to Hun Sen.

In the December warrant, investigating judge Yeith Molin charged Bun Vimol with intentional murder in connection with an August 2009 traffic altercation.

In that incident, 25-year-old Yont Thauron was shot and killed and three of his friends were wounded at a noodle stall near Daun Penh district’s Wat Botum after a road accident.

Yont Thauron and his friends were driving in a Lexus SUV when they collided with a number of motorbikes near Wat Botum park, and the shooting occurred minutes afterwards.

“I request that Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen kindly help push the police to follow the warrant, arrest the perpetrator and bring him to face the law so that justice can be found for the families of all the victims,” Yont Tharo said Thursday.

In September of last year, SRP parliamentarians sent a joint letter to Minister of Interior Sar Kheng to urge that action be taken on the case.

Phnom Penh Municipal Police Chief Touch Naruth said Thursday that police have received the warrant and have been hunting for the suspect, but that their efforts have been unsuccessful.

“There has not been any sign of the suspect so far,” Touch Naruth said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese