Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Murder-robbery’ convict pleads innocence

‘Murder-robbery’ convict pleads innocence

‘Murder-robbery’ convict pleads innocence

An accused told the Appeal Court on Monday that he was in Preah Sihanouk province when a gold vendor was shot four times and killed in 2012, and his bag full of jewellery stolen.

“The others just put the blame on me. I do not know those three people who are said to be my friends,” Sem Sathya told the court as he appealed for his release.

The “others” he was referring to were those suspects who were arrested with him in 2014 – Sok Sopheak, Sun Vannak and Lay Sophat.

Court documents show that on March 14, 2012, the suspects shot the vendor four times with a K59 pistol, killing him and making off with the bag full of jewellery he was carrying.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court issued a verdict on June 25, 2015. Sopheak and Sathya were each sentenced to 17 years’ imprisonment, while the other two were released.

During the hearing on Monday, Sathya told the presiding judges that prior to the murder-robbery case, he had been jailed twice in connection with drug trafficking (and hence, he was not a killer).

Phou Povsun, one of the three judges, argued that the convict had been asked to provide evidence to prove if he really was in Preah Sihanouk on the day of the incident, but he failed to present any evidence or even a witness at his trial.

“Police showed the witness some photos [the suspected perpetrators]. The witness pointed at your photo because they had seen you brawling with and shoting the victim,” the judge told Sathya.

Prosecutor Sar Yuos Thavarak concluded that according to the findings, the convict is guilty of what he was charged of.

He said that Sathya’s sentence was “appropriate”, and thus the court should uphold the municipal court’s verdict of 2015.

However, Sathya’s attorney Sieng Siveayo cast doubt on the police report and the witness’ ability to tell the real perpetrators from thepresented photos.

“The case happened in 2012 and my client was arrested in 2014, which means it is not a case of him being caught red-handed."

“Police did not see my client committing the crime. Therefore, I call for my client’s release,” he told the judges.

In March, Sopheak’s lawyer urged the court to drop the charges following his argument that Sopheak was not at the scene of the murder-robbery.

Judge Tith Sothyboraleak said the verdict of the hearing will be announced on Friday, December 7.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in

  • No ‘Crown Prince’ exists to buy France football club: ministry

    The Ministry of the Royal Palace has denied media reports that a Cambodian “Crown Prince” had purchased the AS Saint Etienne football club of France’s top-flight LIGUE 1 at the cost of €100 million ($117 million). In a press statement on September 19, the ministry stressed that Cambodia