Phnom Penh Municipal Court has dismissed incitement, defamation and false information complaints filed by NagaWorld Hotel and Casino against 14 former employees at the centre of an ongoing labour dispute. The 14 employees were laid off in February. NagaWorld repeatedly said the firings were the result of poor performance, though the workers, along with a union that represents 1,000 NagaWorld employees, have said the layoffs stemmed from a dispute over bonuses. After several demonstrations and strike threats, NagaWorld Human Resources Director Gregory Goh filed the court complaint on July 20. The court dismissed the complaint on September 16, though Sok Narith, one of the 14 workers, said they were not notified until October 13. A copy of the filing dismissing the complaint was obtained Saturday. Sok Narith said he he did not know whether the workers would get their jobs back. NagaWorld officials could not be reached Sunday.
Naga Dispute: Incitement complaint dismissed
- Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day
Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN
- Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down
The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two
- Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’
Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.
- EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’
The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked